Re: Easier Solution: Documentation Policy

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Chris Fearnley wrote:
> save disk space on end users machines.  I'm just agreeing with Yann
> that it is silly to have the i386, m68k, alpha, sparc, etc packages all
> duplicate the same architecture independent documentation files in all
> the .debs.  Modularity is good.

Modularity is good, but that is taking it to rather extremes.  The extra
effort in terms of labor just isnt worth it.  The way I see it, it doesnt
save bandwidth consumption, but only a bit of space on the ftp server.
Given the price of hard drive space these days, thats a moot, retro
specification to try to match.  Unless you show how it can be done with a
minimum of labor by the volunteers.  Remember, directory entries take up
lot of inodes too.  And by keeping it all in one package you make the
compression algorithms that compress that packages more effective.

Don Dibos