Re: Vision of new installation method using webserver

On 30 Jun 1997, Sven Rudolph wrote:

>The base system and the rescue floppy are different entities. The base
>system is about 6MB gzipped, whereas the rescue disk has a root.bin of
>about 600kB and contains the kernel without the modules (they are on
>the driver disk).

I know. As soon as connectivity is established and additional image could
be loaded. See my later message.

>Second case: You have to compile all drivers for your network adapters
>into the kernel. If this is intended to be a generic solution, this
>equals to all network adapter drivers. This probably won't fit on the
>rescue disk.

See above.

>>       and configures an IP address obtained using BOOTP or DHCP. I can
>>       then usually locate the IP address either via the BOOTP logs on a
>>       Linux machine or via the NT DHCP display.
>
>You run your headless servers via DHCP? I expected DHCP to be used for
>client-type machines.

DHCP or BOOTP. I dont run machines like that but usually you can obtain
and IP address easily using that method.

>( When you have an NT machine, you usually have a VGA monitor as
>well. Ignore NT, take the monitor and attach it to the machine. You
>need this anyway in order to fix things in the BIOS. A BIOS that can
>drive a terminal were fine, but I am not aware of one.)

I might not be in the vincinity of the machine.

>How will you solve the initial password issue. Some people don't want
>such a time window for intruders.

There is simply no initial password. There is nothing installed so why
worry. The IP address will be obscure enough.

>I neither think that it is possible nor that it is worth the trouble,
>so I won't invest my time. And I have no customer.

Its really worth the trouble at least in two areas for the general
distribution:

1. Automatic IP configuration and via BOOTP and DHCP. this will make it
much easier to initially set up a box even from the menus.

2. Automatic discovery of the next Debian FTP site using the
   fping(8) command.

What we also should think about is a menu option to automatically take
over a complete harddrive and partition and format it without user
interaction.

The installation process must be as easy as possible.