Re: Debian Policy based on the wrong technical assumptions

: >IMO there should be a room in that policy for people concerned about
: >security, and who don't want to run any webserver on their systems.

: I agree.

Security issues can be addressed by authentication provided by the
webserver.

: Also, what happens when you go single user?  What if no network is
: running since you've just hosed your networking configuration?

You can still run lynx without a network. If you network configuration
(localhost interface I assume..) is hosed quite a number of things might
stop working.

: Requiring a web server for reading documentation is overkill.

Its very economical (easy use of very popular technology) and provides an
universally accessible and standardized interface. Note that we are not
talking about apache but about a small light weight webserver like boa.