Re: Some new package proposals!

[Posted and mailed]

Following up to my own message:

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.970628171946.2098A-100000@dialin106.zdv.uni-mainz.de>,
	pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de (Paul Seelig) writes:

>  * isapnptools-1.10 (see "http://www.roestock.demon.co.uk/isapnptools/";)
>  * junkbuster-1.4   (see "http://internet.junkbuster.com/";)
>  * xaw3d-dev-1.3    (see "ftp://ftp.x.org/contrib/widgets/Xaw3d/";)
>
> Is there already anybody working on these packages and thus making my
> efforts unnecessary?

Ok, i was informed that these packages already have a maintainer who
are keeping them up to date.  Therefore i see no need in double
efforts.  Joost is taking over my work for a "xaw3d-dev" package and
will include it into his "xaw3d" package.

> Above all i'd like to officially provide my own original package
> "equivs-1.0.3", which is a dummy package used to circumvent dpkg's
> sometimes completely undesired dependency complaints.

Looks like there is some interest in this package, so i'm going to
supply it officially for Debian as soon as possible.

>  * mc-4.0 (see "http://mc.blackdown.org/mc/";), currently officially
>    maintained by "Fernando Alegre <alegre@saturn.superlink.net>".

Fernando's latest repackaging is for "mc-3.5.17" as i've seen in
unstable.  But since a week or so the original Midnight Commander
developers have at last switched from the latest development version
3.5.48 to an official mc-4.0 release. I'm closely following the MC
mailing list and it's development stages because it's one of my
preferred Linux programs.  Is it because of your slow 386SX that you
are that much behind on the release schedule for the Midnight
Commander, Fernando? ;-) I'd love to take over maintenance of MC and
keep it more current for Debian if you'd agree?!

>  * xkeycaps-2.35 (see "http://home.netscape.com/people/jwz/xkeycaps/";),
>    currently officially maintained by ???

Is this package orphaned without official notice or why has Debian in
unstable still only version 2.29 of xkeycaps available?  I'd like to
take over this package as well if nobody objects!?

>  * wget-1.4.5 (see "ftp://gnjilux.cc.fer.hr/pub/unix/util/wget/";),
>    currently officially maintained by "J. Ramos Goncalves <ramos@debian.org>"

The available Debian package is currently at version 1.4.4 since quite
some time.  I don't know if i'd better file a bug report instead of
asking to take over this package!?

>  * gv-3.5.8 (see "http://wwwthep.physik.uni-mainz.de/~plass/gv/";),
>    currently officially maintained by "Helmut.Geyer@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de".

Helmut has supplied us only with a gv-3.4.3 Debian package so far.
Actually 'gv' is developing rapidly and is IMHO worth each upgrade
because of bug fixes and other enhancements.  Would you agree to let
me take over maintenance of this package, Helmut?

> All these unofficial packages can be downloaded from our institute's
> FTP site at "ftp://ietpd1.sowi.uni-mainz.de/pub/debian/unofficial/";.

I invite interested parties to download the versions of said packages
from here to evaluate them before i make them official.  Especially
i'm interested in critizism and ideas for enhancements for my 'equivs'
package before any first official release.
                                              Thank you, P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de
   My Homepage in the WWW at the URL http://www.uni-mainz.de/~pseelig