Re: Sub-categorizing the /usr/doc directory.

On Sun, 29 Jun 1997, Joey Hess wrote:

> >  The directory is very large when you have a lot of packages
> > installed, and it takes a lot of processing to open it with a file
> > manager, web browser, or dired.
>
> I completly agree. I have 434 items in /usr/doc, and that's too many.
> Splitting it up by package section is a very good idea.

I disagree. I rarely need to list the directory as I know roughly what's in
it, but I very often want to type in the name; splitting it up would only
mean more keystrokes for me.

Am I right in thinking that taking ages to list full directories is a
particular problem with linux? Will the current changes to the VFS code in
2.1.x help?