Re: Re^4: fixhrefgz - tool for converting anchors to gzipped files

> Am 29.06.97 schrieb aqy6633 # is5.nyu.edu an Marco Budde ...
>
> Moin Alex!
>
> AY> > Right, but does all WWW server offer this feature? We can't force the
> AY> > user to install a specific server.
> AY> Why not? This could be a part of Debian documentation system.
>
> Because no admin would like to have to httpd on his system: one for our
> documentation and one for the other.

Why? If the server is started from inetd it doesn't eat up any resources
while not in use. And another option would just have two (or more)
document roots. It is not difficult to configure httpd this way, but
configuration differs for different servers. Changing web server would
then be not very trivial task.

> AY> The only restriction would be to run it on unconventional port
> AY> and preferably from inetd.
>
> Again, why should we use a WWW server? This is always slower than read the
> files direct from disc.
>
> cu, Marco

Yes, but as you mentioned to your e-mail to Christoph, we can't patch
Netscape to convert .gz files on the fly, not mentioning that if we
implement that using web server, there will be possibility to browse
documents from different host.

Thanks.

Alex Y.

--
   _
 _( )_
 |    \ __/   <--   | Alexander Yukhimets   aqy6633@is5.nyu.edu |
 |        |         |       http://pages.nyu.edu/~aqy6633/      |
   |  (___)                            ooO Ooo
    \___)