Re^7: Status of Debian Policy

[...]
> > Right, but typing xxx.html.gz will work! We can write a litte sed script
> > to change the links from xxx.html to xxx.html.gz inside the documents.
>
> What do the popular http daemons do about this?  I think a good solution
> would be:
>
> For every .html request that comes in (or perhaps for any request in
> general), look for a file fitting the traditional spec.
>
> If that fails, look for a .gz version of that file in the same directory.
>
> If that fails, return the usual 404 error.
>
> Does anything already implement this?  If not, why not?

boa support this. it even decompress on the .gz file on the fly.
I just tryed to access http://localhost/doc/HOWTO/INFO-SHEET and
it works!

boa is also very small and really fast. i think should be the default
httpd of choice for a small debian system.

just my oppinion,
					Federico

* Federico Di Gregorio   |  /      the number you dialled is     *
* fog@perosa.alpcom.it   | / -1   imaginary... please, rotate    *
* <friend of penguins>   |/      the phone PI/2 and try again!   *