Re: Experiences with compiling Debian

> 0.5.21, gpc is 2.something, who knows about gnat...

gnat is 3.09, 3.10a is in test and might be released some
time... in any case, while merging gcc/g77/gpc into one release
probably makes a lot of sense, gnat is "not like the others" --
because it's *written* in Ada, not C, so you need the most recent
previous release installed in order to compile it.  Makes it just a
bit more complicated :-)  So keeping that seperate might make sense
even if you merge in the others...

> thought of putting 20+ Megs through my 28.8k soda straw gives me the

dupload is your friend.  (The recent Xfree86 3.3 uploads went through
at 14.4 -- because the 28.8 at the office that I usually dial in to melted :-)
[I can understand if it is too *expensive* to do so, if you pay for
dialup service.  But if you don't, then it's a mere matter of hours
when you're asleep [or at work] anyway :-)]