Re: Experiences with compiling Debian

Mark Baker wrote:

> >       g77: needs gcc source code to build
>
> Yes, but the alternative is for the source package to be much bigger than it
> needs to be. A better solution would be to merge the source packages.

Perhaps you mean something else by the word "merge", but, again, merged
sources would still leave us a huge source package.  I've thought about
merging gcc, g77, gnat, and gpc into one massive source package, but the
thought of putting 20+ Megs through my 28.8k soda straw gives me the
screaming horrors.

Plus, how would you deal with versioning?  gcc is 2.7.2.2, g77 will be
0.5.21, gpc is 2.something, who knows about gnat...

--Galen