Re: Experiences with compiling Debian

On 24 Jun 1997, Mark Eichin wrote:

> > 0.5.21, gpc is 2.something, who knows about gnat...
>
> gnat is 3.09, 3.10a is in test and might be released some
> time... in any case, while merging gcc/g77/gpc into one release
> probably makes a lot of sense, gnat is "not like the others" --
> because it's *written* in Ada, not C, so you need the most recent
> previous release installed in order to compile it.

At least the patches to gcc need to be included, so we don't have the
ridiculous situation of another copy of gcc just for ada (Do we still? We
did last time I looked)

> So keeping that seperate might make sense even if you merge in the
> others...

Yes, that is a good reason; however it means you still need to download two
lots of source to compile ada.

> [I can understand if it is too *expensive* to do so, if you pay for
> dialup service.  But if you don't, then it's a mere matter of hours
> when you're asleep [or at work] anyway :-)]

If you can saturate the modem with it it would be about two hours I think;
that would be less than two UKP here, though I understand German phone
charges are rather higher. However, the speed of some of the connections to
master I've got recently, it would take rather longer than that. I suppose I
should read the docs on uploading via chiark some time.