Re: Use of suidmanager

In article <[🔎] 199706231059.MAA07131@gauss.topsystem.de> you wrote:
: Could anyone please tell me the advantages of suidmanager as it is right
: now? I can see the usefullness of a tool like that, but I wonder if there
: should be a daily test run to make sure no other file are suid. Or is this
: dones elsewhere?

Not all packages use suidmanager and thus the list in /etc/suid.conf is
not complete.

: Also why are there file in /etc/suid.conf that are not suid at all:

: debmake /usr/bin/build root root 755
: debmake /usr/bin/debpkg root root 755

Suidmanager manages configurable permissions in general not only suid
permissions.
These binaries can be made suid. For example on my system:

user /usr/bin/build root wheel 4754
user /usr/bin/debpkg root wheel 4754

I dont need sudo or other contraptions to build packages. More in
/usr/doc/debmake. I can just type "build" and a packages goes through
the complete build process.