Re: Experiences with compiling Debian

> I've been compiling bo/source using the script I posted some
> time ago. Some common problems:
>
> - no newline at end

I still consider this a dpkg problem -- patch/diff themselves don't seem
to have any problems with this. Am I right here?

> - patch file creates subdirectories

I think here we all agreed, this is a dpkg problem (Has this been
fixed in 1.4.0.17 ?)

> - having a central repository for autoconf test result might speed things
>   up (I think autoconf supports this; someone should investigate)
> - source dependencies would be nice, but are not absolutely necessary
> - the build process is too verbose, it is difficult to see any warnings
>   and errors in the voluminous output

Which build process do you mean? Usually any debian package build
generates _loads_ of output, but compilation stops after the first
error (default make behaviour, anyway), so all I look at is the
last bit. Or do you mean the build process that you created, to
rebuild the whole distribution?

> - idea: developers upload source only, central machine(s) build
>   .debs, so that everything uses the same libs, etc

I'd love that!

> - at least: don't accept packages that don't compile (this should be
>   a requirement for hamm)

I thought this was a requirement for rex etc. too. the difficulty is
checking it, and that can only be done with the idea above.

> - but: can someone provide a machine and network connection?

I could, and if we decided to go that way, I'd even buy yet another HD
just for that purpose. My only problem is my network connection,
it's a bit slow (but fast enough for a debian mirror, so it should
be OK).

> I haven't got all packages from bo to compile.  I'm too lazy to
> go through all failing packages, here's a list of some of them,
> with the reason for the failure listed. Some packages failed
> because I didn't have the time to install the stuff they needed.

This list is "only" 40 packages. We've got about 10 times more
than that -- how many packages do you know compiled did compile?
really 330? not too bad for a start, isn't it?

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj