Re: checker libs with debugging symbols

Michael Meskes <meskes@topsystem.de> writes:
> Is there a reason for the checker libraries to come with debugging symbols?

Yes.  There is a good, even a superlatively good reason: checker is
for debugging programs.  It is *only* for debugging programs.  Thus,
debugging symbols are in there intentionally.  When something goes
wrong, even in the C library, it helps an enormous amount if one can
find the exact line in the source that causes the problem.
Regrettably, one must have 300MB of source code online in order to do
this, but that is the price we pay.

> I haven't used checker yet, so I don't know. But I assume that the libraries
> without debugging symbols would work.

They would work.  But it isn't The Right Thing To Do.
--
Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@pilot.msu.edu>        http://www.msu.edu/user/pfaffben
PGP key: http://www.msu.edu/user/pfaffben/pgp.html or a keyserver near you