Re: RFC: Virtual Package Name List (was bug #10676)

> I was under the impression that xcompat is needed to run non-Debian
> binaries that were compiled against old libs.  I believe that may be true

That is possible (xcompat is an a.out library.)  I haven't heard
direct reports of such (and xcompat is still dead -- there were never
"real" sources for the package, it was cobbled together by hand, so
would take some work to reconstruct...)  Nonetheless, nothing within
debian cares about the use of those virtual package names.