Re: Debian-Policy Manual

On Sun, 15 Jun 1997, David Frey wrote:

> My comments on Christian's proposal (which is very good, thank you christian):
>
> >TOPIC 1: policy for user and group ids (uids, gids)
>
> Wouldn't it be better to start the user uid range with 100 as most other
> Unices do?

Sorry, but I don't get your point. The range from 100-999 is defined to be
for local use of the sysadmin. However, packages can get "dynamically"
UIDs in this range by calling `adduser --system', but only if the sysadmin
has allowed this through the `/etc/adduser.conf' file.

Or did I got your question wrong?

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com
                  schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

                PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA

 CS Software goes online! Visit our new home page at
 	                                     http://www.schwarz-online.com