Re: Status of Debian Policy

[ Please don't Cc: public replies to me. ]

Christian Schwarz:
>    - only html; info in extra .deb
>    - html _and_ info

It was decided many moons ago that Debian would use HTML as its
primary on-line documentation format. HTML should be the default.
dwww can convert (using info2www) Info to HTML on demand,
but the conversion is not as good as the batch conversion that
is done with texi2html. For example, you can't reformat Info
files, and the layout is rather horrible.

In my humble opinion, packages should include HTML in the main
package, and put Info files in a separate package if they are
large. Of course, given that most of the world seems to be
using Emacs, Info is probably too popular for this decision.