Re: Hamm: Exim + Chos standard?

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.970612213841.2641A-100000@waterf.org>,
	Christoph Lameter <clameter@waterf.org> writes:
> It might be good if we would replace smail in hamm with exim.

I agree entirely. Though we should keep smail for people who use smail
elsewhere and don't want to switch.

> - Exim is scalable from running from inetd to delivering hundredths of
>   thousands of messages a day

I thought you had problems on one of your list servers and switched to
zmailer instead?

> Also we might think about replacing lilo with chos as the standard boot
> loader from harddisk. lilo always is a difficulty for newbies, chos
> offers:
>
> - Menudriven Boot Loader (Cryptic Prompt only on demand)

Can it still load straight into linux without any menus or prompts or
anything? If not, it shouldn't be the default IMO. (A nice menu that pops up
if you hold down shift or something would be nice though)

> - Simple configuration in passwd style file /etc/chos.conf

So it uses libext2 or whatever it's called to read directly from the
filesystem at boot time, or is it compiled into the boot sector in the same
way as lilo is?
.