How do we encourage bug reports?

How do we encourage users to submit more bug reports when something
goes wrong?

I've encountered bugs which made me sure that a lot of people,
especially new users, must have stumbled across them, but didn't report
them.  They probably just gave up (after all, people who normally use
Microsoft products don't expect that anybody cares for bugs).

What can be done?  I'd suggest putting the support addresses
(mailing list, web pages) prominently into the installation routines,
and possibly even into the MOTD.

What else?
--
Thomas Koenig, Thomas.Koenig@ciw.uni-karlsruhe.de, ig25@dkauni2.bitnet.
The joy of engineering is to find a straight line on a double