Re: libc6 policy in unstable

On Jun 8, Guy Maor wrote
> David Frey <david@eos.lugs.ch> writes:
> > What is the policy for uploads into unstable regarding libc6?
> > Must all new programs goint into unstable be linked with libc6?
>
> Since Debian 2.0 is meant to be a libc6 system, the answer is yes.  Of
> course, if the libraries that the program depends on are not yet available
> for libc6, then you'll have to continue to upload libc5 versions.

Guy, I think there is some confusion here.

Do you mean
A) "Debian 2.0 will be a libc6 system, so it is desirable for packages going
   into unstable to be linked against libc6 as soon as possible"
or
B) "Uploads of packages for unstable that could be linked against libc6 but
   aren't will be rejected"

> Uploading libc6 versions of dynamic libraries is the first priority.

As long as we don't have a reasonable complete set of libraries for libc6
(ncurses, S-Lang, X,...) I think it is reasonable to allow libc5 packages
into unstable. Of course, maintainers are encouraged to switch to libc6 as
soon as possible.

On Jun 9, Thomas Koenig wrote
> Guy Maor wrote:
> >> Must all new programs goint into unstable be linked with libc6?
> >Since Debian 2.0 is meant to be a libc6 system, the answer is yes.
> If this is indeed a requirement, at is now orphaned.

I suspect Guy meant A.

Greetings,
Ray
--
J.H.M. Dassen                 | RUMOUR  Believe all you hear. Your world may
jdassen@wi.LeidenUniv.nl      | not be a better one than the one the blocks