"install" question regarding mode

In a debian/rules file I am currently testing, the following two lines are
included:
	install -o root -g root -m 755 -d $(DEBLIB)
	install -o root -g root -m 777 -d $(DEBLIB)/netplan.dir

where $(DEBLIB) is 'pwd'/debian/tmp/usr/lib/plan. I want usr/lib/plan to
have mode 755 and usr/lib/plan/netplan.dir to have mode 777. However, the
above two lines leave both as 755. Am I missing something here? For now I
also have a chmod command in debian/rules but I thought the above method
would be cleaner. Any help is gratefully appreciated. Cheers, Colin.

--
	  Colin R. Telmer, Institute of Intergovernmental Relations
		School of Policy Studies, Queen's University