Re: Using CVS for package development

bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens) writes:

> > Communication should be done via a package-specific mailing list. The
> > maintainer of the package decides who has commit privileges for this
> > package and who gets on this package's developers' mailing-list.

(And the CVS commit messages are sent to this list.)

> The way we are currently doing it here (at Pixar) is that nobody checks
> in an un-reviewed patch, even if they do have commit privilege. Anyone
> with commit privilege can review it for you and give you an OK to check
> it in, but it takes two people. It tends to make us think a bit harder
> about what we are doing.

We could implement this policy for the stable branch, but for the
development branch it means much work due the more frequent changes;
and the latency for getting a change distributed is high again.

(Please note that even my first proposal doesn't make anything worse
than it it is done currently. Current procedure is that one person
makes a change, releases it (including the binary package). And then
other people can review the change; I believe this almost never
happens.)

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de> ; WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/