Re: base-files does not create /usr/local directories

On Mon, 26 May 1997, Brian White wrote:

> > I just received this from Brian. The feature of dpkg to skip certain
> > directories when unpacking a .deb has been discussed already. How easy can
> > this be implemented?
>
> In fact, as part of the Deity project, I'd like to do something a little
> more elaborate.  I'd like to be able to remove or change any arbitrary
> path.  (This was originally Behan's idea, actually.)

Ok, then I'd suggest I change the proposed section in our Policy to state
that currently, directories in /usr/local have to be created in postinst
(that's the only possibility _now_) but this will change in the near
future when this feature is added to dpkg/deity.

Note, that creating directories in /usr/local in postinst scripts is not
new, it's currently used by a lot of packages. I only want to get this
documented somewhere.

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian is looking     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de
for a logo! Have a
look at our drafts     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
at    http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/