Re: Reporting a bug that's already been reported...

Sam Ockman:
> Say I discover a bug (for example in xlockmore) and it's the same bug
> that's already been reported (10085).  Does it make any sense for me to
> report it again, so that the maintainer knows it is effecting more than
> one person?  It seems that this could be useful both as a way to encourage
> the maintainer to fix it, and to help track down the exact cause if the
> maintainer can't reproduce the bug his/herself.... (for instance should it
> be somehow hardware related)....
>
> On the other hand there are also obvious reasons why it shouldn't be
> reported again....Any policy exist for this?  I didn't see anything under
> the reporting a bug document.

Don't report it again. We have enough bugs, reporting a bug twice just makes
the maintainer have to do more administrative things on the bug system, to
merge the two bugs, etc.

If you have some more information about the bug, send it to
xxxx@bugs.debian.org (xxxx=bug number). Then it'll be listed along with the
original report.

--
see shy joe