Policy regarding adding TeX/LaTeX styles and classes

Hi,

	Do we have any policies regarding additional sytem installed
 TeX/LaTeX styles and classes? For example, LaTeX2HTML has a bunch of
 style files, which, when used in writing a document, give the author
 more control over the rendition of their document into HTML, and it
 would be nice to be able to install the files under
 /usr/lib/tex/texmf rather than insist that all users of LaTeX2HTML
 have /usr/lib/latex2html/style in their TEXINPUTS.

	If this is feasible, then after installation, texhash should
 be run to regenerate the ls-LR database; I am, however, leery of
 doing this as tetex could be being upgraded at the same time, and if
 LaTeX2HTML's postinst is run before tetex's, maybe the tetex would
 complain about calling texhas before tetex was configured.

	I note, however, that tetex-extra just call texhash right out
 of the hat in it's postinst; so is this OK? (what happens if
 tetex-extra is installed before tetex-base?

	I can't even test for a previous ls-R database, since it is
 installed by tetex-base (which could then be installed but not
 configured).

	As a hack, I can test for the link /usr/lib/texmf/local, which
 will only exists if tetex-base has been run, but I see that as
 unwarranted chumminess with tetex-base's postinst.

	Am I makingthis too hard?

	manoj
--
 "I've finally learned what `upward compatible' means. It means we get
 to keep all our old mistakes." Dennie van Tassel