Re: GOAL: Consistent Keyboard Configuration

    Christian> I just read the excellent article "Consisten Keyboard
    Christian> Configuration" by John F. Bunch in the Linux Journal,
    Christian> issue #38.

 I read it too, and tried some of the configuration given there.  I
found that the standard US-Map and a blank Xmodmap worked better than
the ones I typed from the article. (INMHO, YMMV)

 The newest XEmacs, 20.2 (compiled here w/o MULE), works fine for me,
in that the backspace key deletes to the left, and delete sucks
characters from the right, as you would expect after using a
DOS/Windows PC.  I used `xkeycaps` to ensure that [<-Backspace] sends
^H, and [Delete] sends ^?.  I haven't had to load any special
libraries to make it work like this, though in my site-start.el, I
have:

(define-key global-map '(control h) 'backward-delete-char)

... since [F1] works just fine for a help key. :-)

--
Karl M. Hegbloom <karlheg@inetarena.com>
http://www.inetarena.com/~karlheg