Re: Old bug reports

> Of the 5 oldest bugs, 4 are on xbase, and might refer to problems
> specific to XFree86 3.1.2, which is no longer current.  Someone ought

In fact, when I took over X, I went through and closed a *large*
number of bugs in the database; this also involved writing a bunch of
patches, which is why 3.2-5 and -6 came out "under the wire."  I'll be
spending some time on the remainder this weekend (after I finish
making chocolate truffles for a party tonight  -- gotta have
priorities :-)

> 2200 outstanding bugs.  That's 20% of the total bugs received.  Can we
> at least examine these older bugs and clear them out?  Since we have

We get lots of complaints about this.  Have you considered instead
putting some *work* into the problem?  If you've got some time, go
through the open bugs, if something needs a patch and you can do it,
send one to the maintainer, or if you can verify that it doesn't
happen, report *that* -- I've certainly left a number of bugs open
because I couldn't duplicate the conditions and thus couldn't tell
that they were *not* there.  "Handling" or "managing" bug reports is a
skill independent of development and QA;  I'd be quite happy to see a
group that goes through and works on that problem, and it's a good way
to learn about a package, too...

It would also help *me personally* if someone would do an emacs
interface to the bug system.  Right now I use w3-mode and a bunch of
cut&paste; but I've been using an emacs gnats mode (with some
cygnus-specific hacks; I think a more stable version is in the gnats
release, though I could be wrong...) for a long time and being able to
prepare a "reply to this message" or "close this bug report" buffer
with a keystroke or two, having to only fill in the actual *text* of
the response, makes it *much* easier to manage a large list of
reports...  a couple of command sthat provided a front end to the
debian bugs "control" message interface wouldn't hurt either.

Step right up! :-)
			_Mark_ <eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us>
			The Herd of Kittens
			A Debian Maintainer