Re: rm -r * and the default prompt

> '=?iso-8859-1?Q?Nicol=E1s_Lichtmaier?= wrote:'
> > So I say: PS1="[\\u] \\h:\\w\\$ " !!!!  =D
On May 21, Chris Fearnley wrote
> No, PS1='\u@\h:\w\$ ' !!!!!
>
> I guess this will become a flame war.  So I'd prefer to leave prompt
> alone.  Or maybe the boot disks can have a dialog script to help the
> user choose a prompt?

I'd prefer PS1='\$ '

However, if you want all that fanciness, a compromise is:
PS1='\u@\h \W\$ '

This doesn't eat up your screen when you're way down in the directory
tree (you even still wind up using pwd occasionally).  Also, I think
the space makes the prompt look better than the :

But, please remember to consider users of ash, ksh and zsh.

--
Raul