Re: Perl issues

Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com> writes:

> Don't let this slow down your work, but: one thing I've been
> itching for is a mechanism for CPAN installation to interoperate
> with the Debian package manager.
>
> This is a pretty broad project, and to do it right you'd probably
> have to get the CPAN and Diety folks talking to each other, just
> to define the interface.

I've been thinking about this for a while, but never actually done
anything...

It seems to me that we could have an ExtUtils::MM_Debian which is
almost the same as MM_Unix but helps to create a Debian package.  It
could either insert appropriate targets in the generated Makefile
(make binary) or generate an appropriate debian/ directory
(debian/rules binary).

Normal users could generate local Debian packages or maintainers could
generate official binary releases (like kernel-package can).

It would be very nice to be able to do things like

    tar zxvvf File-Sync-0.05.tar.gz
    cd File-Sync-0.05
    perl Makefile.PL
    debian/rules binary
    dpkg -i ../perl-file-sync_0.05-local.1_i386.deb

and have a properly installed package.

--
                Carey Evans  <*>  c.evans@clear.net.nz

"Encryption renamed to Encode to avoid US regulation problems"
                     - include/linux/wireless.h in Linux 2.0.30 kernel