Re: ssltelnet

On Wed, 21 May 1997, Tim Sailer wrote:

> Can someone verify that this is a problem? I installed ssleay and ssltelnet,
> and when ssltelnet ripped through the install, it never paused for me
> to enter the info for the certificate.. This is what it looked like:
>
> Generating a 512 bit private key
> ............+++++
> ......................+++++
> writing new private key to 'telnetd.pem'
> -----
> You are about to be asked to enter information that will be incorperated
> into your certificate request.
> What you are about to enter is what is called a Distinguished Name or a DN.
> There are quite a few fields but you can leave some blank
> For some fields there will be a default value,
> If you enter '.', the field will be left blank.
> -----
> Country Name (2 letter code) [AU]:State or Province Name (full name) [Queensland]:Locality Name (eg, city) []:Organization Name (eg, company) [Mincom Pty Ltd]:Organizational Unit Name (eg, section) [MTR]:Common Name (eg, YOUR name) []:Email Address []:
>

> This happened on 2 different machines with a fresh bo install.  This
> is *not* critical, but just curious..

Actually this is just a cosmetic bug.  What is happening is that the
postinst, as well as generating the SSL key, is also supplying the machine
with useful values for the fields it looks like the prompt is skipping.
The postinst really needs to redirect the prompts off to never-never land,
but it is doing the "Right Thing".