Re: Proposal: New source format (was Re: [Fwd: Re: dpkg question])

srivasta@datasync.com (Manoj Srivastava)  wrote on 12.05.97 in <[🔎] 87d8qwcrv2.fsf@tiamat.datasync.com>:

> >>"Kai" == Kai Henningsen <kai@khms.westfalen.de> writes:

Kai>> Well, yes. Scan the temp dir after unpacking. If it contains one
Kai>> directory and nothing else, that directory is the main package
Kai>> directory. If it contains anything else, the temp dir is the main
Kai>> package dir. Rename the right directory to the right name and
Kai>> place, and if the temp dir is still around, throw it away.

> 	Unless the sources (like angband-2.7.6) just contained a
>  single directory, and unpacked in . (granted, this is a pathological
>  case, but it prevents us from saying we have a fool-proof method).

There seems to be a communication breakdown somewhere. My above method
handles *all* cases, without exception, though from your description I
can't quite make out if angband is the first or the second case.

(Actually, I think the idea may orignally have come from Bruce, though I
won't swear to that. It's kind of a "duh, why didn't I think of that"
idea.)

> 	Anyway, the algorithm above _would* handle most cases, and
>  that might be good enough.

Nope. It does indeed handle *all* cases. Well, all cases where the tar
doesn't contain pathnames going outside the current directory, but people
building tars like that should be shot anyway - that's not a tar, that's a
breakin attempt.

MfG Kai