Re: Proposal: New source format (was Re: [Fwd: Re: dpkg question])

On 12 May 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> >> say that if the source is well behaved (that is, it is a tar file
> >> that unpacks into *some* directory other than ., compressed or
>
> Kai> You seem to think a tar that unpacks into "." is a problem. I
> Kai> still fail to see why.
>
> Kai> Just unpack into a temporary subdirectory.
>
> 	I was just thinking of the problem of determining which case
>  it was ...
>
> 	Suppose I hace A.tar.gz and B.tar.gz, and I need to apply a
>  diff to them to get the debianised source. In each case, I unpack
>  into ./temp.
>
> 	Case 1: I get ./temp/A/{1,2,3}, in the second case I get
>  ./temp/{4,5}.  In case 1 I should cd into ./temp/A before applying
>  the diff, in the second case I have to cd into ./temp and apply the
>  patch.
>
> 	At first glance, it may be difficult to determine whether
>  currently we are facing case one or two.
>
> 	There may be an easy solution that is not obvious to me.

Write our own "safe" scripting language. Not difficult, and really rather
useful. So, eg:-

	Unpack A.tar.gz in /A
	Patch A.diff in /A
	Unpack B.tar.gz in /
	Patch B.diff in /

This would be very nice IMHO.

--
Tom Lees <tom@lpsg.demon.co.uk>			http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/
PGP ID 87D4D065, fingerprint 2A 66 86 9D 02 4D A6 1E  B8 A2 17 9D 4F 9B 89 D6