magicfilter and samba

This email concerns using magicfilter in conjunction with samba to print
to shared Windows printers. I am sending it to perhaps too many people,
but I think this information would be of interest to many and therefore I
thought I should disseminate it as much as possible.

I thought it would be useful to include in the documentation for printing
with smbclient from /etc/printcap using the smbprint script the following
addition:

To use magicfilter along with smbprint in (which is usually called from
/etc/printcap but could be used in other ways) all that needs to be done
is a small alteration to the end of smbprint (This smbprint is taken from
print2win mini HOWTO):

- ---------old end section
(
# NOTE You may wish to add the line `echo translate' if you want automatic
# CR/LF translation when printing.
        echo translate
        echo "print -"
        cat
) | /usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient "\\\\$server\\$service" $password -U
$user -N -P >> $logfile
- -------------------
- --------new end section
(
# NOTE You may wish to add the line `echo translate' if you want automatic
# CR/LF translation when printing.
#       echo translate  <- commented out as magicfilter does this already
        echo "print -"
        /usr/sbin/ljet3-filter "$@"
) | /usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient "\\\\$server\\$service" $password -U
$user -N -P >> $logfile
- -------------------
where ljet3-filter would be replaced by the magicfilter that is
appropriate for you printer. There may be a much better way to do this,
but it works fantastically for me. Thanks to all for (1) providing samba
and magicfilter and (2) packaging them for debian.

Cheers, Colin.

- --
	  Colin R. Telmer, Institute of Intergovernmental Relations
		School of Policy Studies, Queen's University
		     Kingston, Ontario, Canada, K7L-3N6
	      (613)545-6000x4219   telmerco@qed.econ.queensu.ca
     PGP Fingerprint = 09 E9 DA 66 9C EE 33 DC  B8 3B 97 0E 01 BC EC 0B
	   PGP Public Key at <URL:http://terrapin.econ.queensu.ca>