Re: Proposal: New source format (was Re: [Fwd: Re: dpkg question])

[ Please don't Cc: public replies to me. ]

Some points:

1. If the upstream source packages are to be included bit-for-bit in their
   original form, how are you going to unpack them? Remember, you _have_
   to handle all formats: .zip, .tar.tar, .shar, binhex, multiple files,
   comp.binaries.* postings, ... That's an awful lot of complexity in the
   packaging tools.

2. Unpacking a source package should not require running special programs.
   This was an important requirement when the current format was designed,
   and it is an important one. It allows one to unpack safely and portably.

3. It's not reasonable to require that the upstream source (which doesn't
   change at all) be uploaded for each release. Please don't suggest
   source packages that consists of a single file. Bandwidth costs money.
   It's expensive enough to mirror Debian as it is.

4. Have all packages already been converted to the new scheme? Are we
   really ready to change everything _again_? Would it not be better
   to work on, say, being able to compile the whole main distribution
   with a single command (a.k.a. a single source tree)? Or on bugs; the
   full list of recent and outstanding reports is over 600 kB!

   Incremental improvements might be a better way than revolution, this
   time.