Re: ae's vi attempt on boot disks stomps on real vi symlink

On Thu, 8 May 1997, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

> I think that `ae` is an excellent choice for the boot-disk editor
> because of the help feature, and its 'modeless' operation.  It
> is easy for a beginner to use, with a very flat learning curve.
> [...deleted...]

yes, ae does have it's place and does it's job for people who cant use
vi.

> I guess it is a problem for `vi` and `elvis` users if the symlink in
> /etc/alternatives isn't being set the way it should when one of those
> editors gets installed.

as i pointed out several messages back in this thread, there is an
easy fix for this: instead of having /usr/bin/vi be a shell
script wrapper around ae, make it a symlink to the wrapper script
/usr/bin/aevi...then update-alternatives will have no problem updating
the link when a real vi (vim, elvis, or nvi) is installed.

> But `ae`, not `elvis-lite` belongs on the boot set.

Nobody is suggesting that vi should go on INSTEAD of ae.  Those who want
vi on the base disks want it IN ADDITION TO ae.  ae for newbies, vi for
non newbies.

> We must provide a setup that a beginner can install and begin learning
> from.

Yes, but we must also provide a system that isn't going to make
experienced unix people turn away in disgust.

There is a big difference between accomodating newbies and crippling the
system in order to cater to them.

craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract