Re: ae's vi attempt on boot disks stomps on real vi symlink

On Thu, 8 May 1997, Craig Sanders wrote:

> at least ae's vi mode does dd properly. maybe i'm just slack or
> something but i still haven't figured out how to delete a line in ae
> without backspacing over the whole thing.
> i'd rather use 'cat >filename' than ae any day.

I have a vague recollection that at some time in the past typing 'vi'
might have elicited a message like 'sorry, vi not installed yet, please
try ae', which is really the best way.  It may not make everybody happy,
but it's better than the alternatives (incompatibility (ae-vi) or wild
incompatibility (ae-native)).

> > ae's native mode is a completely different editor and carries no
> > baggage.
> yes, it's a completely different editor. it just happens to be a very
> ugly one, as bad as pico or possibly worse (at least pico can delete a
> whole line with a single keystroke).
> what "baggage" is there in ae's vi mode which isn't in it's native mode?

The expectation that the editor will behave like vi rather than behaving
kind of like vi, but not really.

- --
\/\ Lab.NET| Ryan Smith-Roberts <rsr@lab.net>         | finger/www for
/\/  we do | "Consistency requires you to be as       |    PGP key
\/\  stuff | ignorant today as you were a year ago" - Bernard Berenson
         89 FC 59 49 D3 DD 20 20  54 0D B0 C5 81 32 01 CC

Version: 2.6.3i
Charset: noconv