Re: ae's vi attempt on boot disks stomps on real vi symlink

On Thu, 8 May 1997, Ryan Smith-Roberts wrote:

> On Thu, 8 May 1997, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > > The emulation is not close enough to real vi to make it worthwhile.
> >
> > it's not great, but it's much better than ae's native mode.
> I disagree.  I found that ae's vi emulation mode was just close enough to
> vi that I spent most of my time discovering the multitude of ways in which
> it was NOT like vi.

the reason why it's better than ae's native mode takes about 0.2 seconds:

vipw<enter>Gocas::1002:1002:<oh shit i've just typed crap into the file>

when you're used to vi, you get into the habit of taking advantage of
the type-ahead buffer while the editor is loading.

This is why I hate it that the editor defaults to ae. ae is NOT vi.
vi means 'edit the passwd file with vi'. it doesn't mean 'edit the
passwd file with ae unless i set a couple of env varibales first'.

it's nfuriating for it not to behave as expected.

at least ae's vi mode does dd properly. maybe i'm just slack or
something but i still haven't figured out how to delete a line in ae
without backspacing over the whole thing.

i'd rather use 'cat >filename' than ae any day.

> ae's native mode is a completely different editor and carries no
> baggage.

yes, it's a completely different editor. it just happens to be a very
ugly one, as bad as pico or possibly worse (at least pico can delete a
whole line with a single keystroke).

what "baggage" is there in ae's vi mode which isn't in it's native mode?

craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract
temporary autonomous zone              system administration tasks.