Re: Remaining critical bugs (IMHO)

bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens)  wrote on 29.04.97 in <[🔎] m0wMOYL-00IdTWC@golem.pixar.com>:

> Note that Debian currently tells the _correct_ time. The bug is that
> POSIX specifies that systems should tell the _wrong_ time, by ignoring
> leap-seconds. I think we have to fix it, by copying in the "posix" zone
> information rather than the "right" zone information, so that Debian systems
> work correctly in networks of Unix workstations, but it is really annoying
> that we have to break the system for POSIX.

I think the "rightness" is debatable, at least. POSIX effectively says -
and I think this is the correct way of doing it - that the result of
time() is predictable calendar time.

Surely the vast majority of applications needs exactly that. Only very few
applications need accurate second differences even over leap seconds more
than they need calendar time, and the property that t+86400 is _always_
exactly one day later.

And since you can obviously not rely on time() giving exact second
differences, those few applications will need to do something different
anyway.

MfG Kai