Re: Libpng0 and libpng0-dev 0.95b-1 (i386) uploaded to master.

Sorry about the previous mail, I hadn't seen anything but the bug
reports at the time.

Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org> writes:
> It is supposed to replace libpng1 and libpng1-dev (with libpng0 and
> libpng0-dev). The downwards version number change is to
> resynchronize with the upstream version number.

Well, when I took on libpng, the authors were stating that 1.0 would
soon be out :-), and that there were not significant changes planned
before that time.  Hence the soname I chose.

> Notice that there is a binary incompatibility between libpng0 and
> libpng1 (not only because of the soname, but the API changed
> slightly).

Are you *sure* it changed sufficiently to require a new soname?  Mere
addition of a function isn't sufficient---that's upwards compatible,
and you would just need to change the shlibs file to list the new
version as the minimum accepted version.  It must have changed an
existing structure or deleted or changed an existing function for this
to be necessary.

All I ask is that you please make sure this is *truly* warranted,
otherwise you're causing a lot of unnecessary work.

Mike.