Re: Package organization issue...

[ Please don't Cc: public replies to me. ]

"Karl M. Hegbloom":
>  I also suggest that the shell function shown in mc's help screen be
> added to the "/etc/profile" file (and exported there) by `mc`s
> installation scripts.

Um, having packages modify /etc/profile is an extremely bad idea.
There's simply too many things that can go wrong. Even just
the security considerations (root uses /etc/profile too!) are
considerable. Besides, it doesn't help people not using a Bourne
shell derivative.

It's better to provide it in /usr/doc/mc/examples, and put a pointer
to it in /usr/doc/mc/README.debian (or whatever).