Mysterious breakage of my fetchmail

	I would normally report this at submit@bugs.debian.org but I
can't figure out what package to report it against.  I recently
upgraded a *lot* of packages through dpkg-ftp.  I'm following unstable
at the moment.  There were a couple of minor bobbles on reboot:

	* It didn't mount /proc before loading modules, so it kept
complaining about /proc/modules being missing.  I fixed this manually
by adding `mount /proc' early in /etc/init.d/boot.  (What package's
fault is this?  /etc/init.d/boot belongs to sysvinit.)

	* It complained about not being able to create diald.fifo in
/var/run/diald, and it turned out that that directory didn't actually
exist, so I created it.  I suppose I should report this against diald.

	But here is the mysterious part: Now fetchmail no longer
works.  When I just type `fetchmail', I get something like this:

    blp:~$ fetchmail
    fetchmail: 98 messages at pfaffben@pilot.msu.edu.
    reading message 1 (2083 bytes) .
    fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed: Unknown error -1
    fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from pilot.msu.edu:
    Unknown error -1

On the other hand, this does work, presumably because it's not trying
to `connect to localhost' but simply to run the local program smail
(note that smail presents a sendmail-compatible /usr/sbin/sendmail):

    blp:~$ fetchmail -k -m "/usr/sbin/sendmail -oem %s"

On top of all this, I can't remember that smail was on the list of
packages upgraded.  Can anyone offer me some tips?
--
Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@pilot.msu.edu> 12167 Airport Rd, DeWitt MI 48820, USA
*Note*: New PGP key available at http://www.msu.edu/user/pfaffben/pgp.html