Re: New section cdrom-able (?)

On Thu, 24 Apr 1997, Santiago Vila Doncel wrote:

> This is an excerpt of a message from Greg Roelofs <newt@pobox.com>,
>
> *-------------------------------------------
> [ ... ]
>
> I'll bounce this off the others in the zip-bugs group, but there's
> essentially zero probability that we'll switch to the GPL in the 5.x
> series.  For 6.0 or 6.1--especially after the enhanced-DLL rewrite--
> that might be more reasonable.
>
> In the meantime you folks might consider a third category within
> Debian:  software that is freely CDROM-able but not allowed to be
> sold stand-alone.
>
> [ ... ]
> *--------------------------------------------
>
> Is there any chance to create a "cdrom-able" category within non-free?

I don't think this is worth the trouble. The non-free section is thought
for packages that are not free according to our interpretation of "free".
This does not mean that all programs in the section cannot be placed on a
CD-ROM. Instead, the CD-ROM vendors can check all licenses of the programs
in non-free and decide themselves if they want to include it or not.

So if zip/unzip is not "free" just put it into non-free.

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian is looking     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de
for a logo! Have a
look at our drafts     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
at    http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/