Re: Afterstep?

On 22 Apr, Bruce Perens wrote:
> Is our Afterstep maintainer still active?

Well that would be me...

Yes, I'm still active.  The most recent upstream version of Afterstep
has existed as a Debian package since March 27, when it was uploaded to
master.  This was about two days after the upsream version was
released.  It did wait in Incoming for a long time, but is now in both
bo and hamm.  This release fixes all outstanding bug-reports, though
there are a few improvements I plan to make after exams.  (The big
problem is that if you don't install the menu package, the default
system.steprc provides no menu when you left-click on the background.
This can be fixed by someone without the menu package by simply
uncommenting a single line, and probably since almost everyone uses the
menu package, no one has yet filed a bug report about this.)

As nearly as I can tell, the author of the message below was either
looking at the version in rex (which was a bit old even when rex was
frozen) or was confused by my munging of the version number (1.0pre6 ->
.99pre6) in order to make things work with dpkg's version ordering.
I'm not entirely sure what he means when he says that the package
"doesn't work well at all," but I have replied to him privately to
hopefully clarify matters.

						Neil

--
Neil A. Rubin <nar5@po.cwru.edu> - Physics/Mathematics - CWRU '98, IMSA '94