Re: <hamm> backwards-compatibility with libc5

On Apr 20, Helmut Geyer wrote
> When we will switch to libc6 in hamm, there will be a lot of problems
> with respect to upgrading, which will be much harder than the upgrade
> libc4 to libc5 as the shared libraries still are ELF libraries, just
> sometimes incompatible ones.
>
> I think we need to have at least compatibility libraries hanging
> around as is intended with libc6 (more precisely with the new
> ld-linux.so.1 coming with glibc 2)[1]:
> Make a hierarchy /usr/i386-linuxlibc5/lib and generate new
> packages containing just the shared libraries and put them there.
> If we want to be able to still compile programs using the old library
> we have to add an include tree and development libs as well.
> Then libc6 has to conflict with any package containing an
> incompatible library.
> This takes care of most of the libraries. There are several other
> libraries sitting in /lib that are not part of libc. These should be
> moved to /usr/i386-linuxlibc5/lib. Something similar has to be done
> for the X libraries. I propose to put the right into that directory
> not into a seperate directory below /usr/X11R6/lib and adding that to
> ld.so.conf.
> For some programs (mostly commercial ones) it will be inevitable to
> keep the libc5 shared libs around.

I hand't brought this up yet, since I didn't want to do anthing to
slow down the release of Debian 1.3.  I still don't want to slow down
the release, so I won't go into any details here and suggest that we
all table any discussion on this issue until after the release.  If
you would like to more about some of the problems that will be caused
by switching to libc6, please see the README file from ld.so-1.9.1,
which I just uploaded.

David
--
David Engel                        ODS Networks
david@sw.ods.com                   1001 E. Arapaho Road