<hamm> backwards-compatibility with libc5

Hi!

When we will switch to libc6 in hamm, there will be a lot of problems
with respect to upgrading, which will be much harder than the upgrade
libc4 to libc5 as the shared libraries still are ELF libraries, just
sometimes incompatible ones.

I think we need to have at least compatibility libraries hanging
around as is intended with libc6 (more precisely with the new
ld-linux.so.1 coming with glibc 2)[1]:
Make a hierarchy /usr/i386-linuxlibc5/lib and generate new
packages containing just the shared libraries and put them there.
If we want to be able to still compile programs using the old library
we have to add an include tree and development libs as well.
Then libc6 has to conflict with any package containing an
incompatible library.
This takes care of most of the libraries. There are several other
libraries sitting in /lib that are not part of libc. These should be
moved to /usr/i386-linuxlibc5/lib. Something similar has to be done
for the X libraries. I propose to put the right into that directory
not into a seperate directory below /usr/X11R6/lib and adding that to
ld.so.conf.
For some programs (mostly commercial ones) it will be inevitable to
keep the libc5 shared libs around.

        Helmut

[1] see <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/ANNOUNCE-2.0-linux.html>
    for reference.