Re: Question on install
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: Question on install
- From: email@example.com (Miquel van Smoorenburg)
- Date: 12 Apr 1997 16:25:08 +0200
- Message-id: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
In article <email@example.com>,
Alexander Koch <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>[I was not able to make correct boot disks with dd, right now it's about 10
>disks that are not working, though they're all a bit older. I can format
>usual dos discs and read usual discs so the fd drive should be ok. I'm using
>the 04-04 disc set.
FWIW, I have never trusted the Linux floppy driver. Ever since Linux 1.0.
Before that, it was OK.
We have a couple of machines here, if you format a floppy on them under Linux,
the floppy will be totally unusable. You can't even reformat it under DOS.
You need to demagnitize it with a magnet first. Machines and floppy drives
work fine under DOS. Replacing the floppy drive does not help.
Ofcourse nobody believes me, so I've like given up on sending bug reports.