Re: "dselect" replacement team

On 10 Apr 97, debian-devel@lists.debian.org wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:
>
> Also I was going to suggest that the 'new' dselect use the same look
> as the install scripts for consistancy. If we could then work a
> similar scheme for the adduser prompting that would be good to.

The install scripts being the boot-floppies interface, or the
{pre,post}{int,rm} scripts?

> > I've actually looked at switching the boot floppies to use s-lang
> > rather than ncurses, and it looks as if it would save a lot of
> > space. I haven't done anything about it yet.
>
> If someone would replace that dialog program that alot of scripts
> use with something faster/better that would also be nice, modconf is
> horribly slow on my 486 -- almost unusable on the 486/33 and 386/40
> I stuck Debian on. The install screens are also pretty bad for
> redraw times. (Same program?)

If you wait a week or so, I shall upload an experimental version of
a system which does just that (see an earlier announcement). It has
been designed for exactly this sort of use, and has all sorts of
improvements over dialog (such as X11 support, context-sensitive
help and i18n support). It's actually about ready to upload now, but
from Monday I'll have access to the University's backbone connection
rather than my parents' 14.4K modem ...

So far, it does appear to be a lot faster as well (I don't have any
hard figures, but it's easily noticable); the only difference will be
in a few of the more advanced features of dialog, which I can't
actually get to work on dialog either!

HTH,

&E
--