Re: FTP server: ls-lR file and mirroring

Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@rosebud.sps.queensu.ca> writes:

>   Siggy> btw: While dmirror.py isn't yet in a shape for general release it
>   Siggy> already checks md5sums on the fly - just an idea for dselect's ftp
>   Siggy> install method.
>
> The dpkg-mountable package does it as well. And so does dftp, I believe.

Although I'm not good at Perl, I just had a quick look at dftp: it uses a
separate pass to check MD5sums, while dmirror.py accumulates the MD5sum during
download.

With a fast link my approach may slow things down, but even with an old
386/25 connected to the net via ISDN there's no noticable degradation.

As a result dftp's 2nd pass might save the time spent in calculating MD5sums.

Siggy
--
Siggy Brentrup <bsb@debian.org> aka: bsb@north.de
*** PGP public key available from keyservers ***