better upgrading for /etc/{passwd,group} ?

Hello,

Are there any plans for impruving the handling of "system users" and
"system groups"?  I mean users and groups defined in the base
/etc/passwd and /etc/group files?

As it is now, I have to manually walk along my current /etc/passwd and
/etc/group file and merge it with the one which came with base-files.

The general idea I was thinking of is to have base-files come with a
script which merges the current passwords and non-system-ids with the
files which come with base-files (maybe identifying them in the
current passwd file by their below-1000 id?)

Any comments?

Cheers,

--Amos

--Amos Shapira                    | "Of course Australia was marked for
133 Shlomo Ben-Yosef st.          |  glory, for its people had been chosen
Jerusalem 93 805                  |  by the finest judges in England."
ISRAEL            amos@dsi.co.il  |                     -- Anonymous