Re: base / base-files

On Sat, 29 Mar 1997, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> i had a "base" package on my system. it was marked as obsolet
> (base-files replaces it), but was never removed (it's essential).
> i wondered : if i remove it with --force-remove-essential, i loose all
> /dev/* files (ok, i can generate them with MAKEDEV).
>
> i removed base, and regenerated all the /dev/ files, but:
> a) why was there this base package (it was there for months, so this
> 	must be an old bug).
> b) base has all /dev/ files. base-files replaces base, but has no /dev/
> 	files... wouldn't the get lost in an update ?

AFAIK this is the normal behaviour. I think the "base" package is
automatically created when you install the "base" system. When dpkg
installs other packages these eventually take over some of the files.

So what about removing the package information about "base" out of dpkg's
database but keeping all files? I mean, not every file has to be included
in a package, or? (Just think of all the files in /var/...)

Cheers,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian is looking     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de
for a logo! Have a
look at our drafts     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
at    http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/