Re: dpkg support for teams (From: 'debian-doc mailing list exists')

On Sat, 29 Mar 1997, Susan G. Kleinmann wrote:

> Jim Pick wrote:
>
> >I don't know about assigning tasks to people, but if we provided an
> >environment where people received credit and recognition for the work
> >they do in providing documentation - similar in the way that we honour
> >package developers - then I think people will contribute.  Of course,
> >we should also build an infrastructure that makes it easy.
>
> I've been thinking that the current (or at least, my current understanding
> of) dpkg "Maintainer ID" is a little limiting, since it seems only
> to recognize individuals.  There are times when people want to collaborate
> on a package, and there's no mechanism to support this.
>
> Suggestion: Allow the Maintainer field of the control file to refer to
> a mail alias which is the name of a team.  The alias expands to the names
> of all members of the group.  Perhaps the aliases could be registered by
> a lynx-readable form.

Sven and I already do this with the boot-floppies package. The maintainer
field contains a mail alias that forwards bug reports to both of us. I can
see no reason that this couldn't expand to a group/team.

> One might want to expand on that idea and have a second optional alias
> for each team, who is a current point of contact.

Naw...just designate one person on the team to respond to thos "contact"
messages. Everyone else is just "staying informed".

Waiting is,

Dwarf